Theva Thevuthasan, Ph.D.Capability Lead, Spectroscopy and Diffraction (Electron and Ion/Molecular Beam), WR Wiley Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory
http://emslbios.pnl.gov/id/thevuthasan_s Updated: June 4, 2012
Current Activities and Projects
Dr. Thevuthasan joined Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) in the later part of 1993 and he has been working in the development of experimental capabilities associated with accelerator facility and research programs related to high-energy ion solid interactions at EMSL since then. He is best known as a leader in the application of ion beam analysis to oxide thin film materials. Most recently, he was assigned as a Capability Lead for EMSL's Interfacial and Nanoscale Science Facility group.
Authored or coauthored over 200 peer reviewed scientific journal publications, 40 peer reviewed proceedings papers, technical reports, 1 patent and 2 invention reports.
Dr. Thevuthasan has an international reputation for his research studies in the field of ion solid interactions in general, and the applications of ion beams in thin films and surface science in particular. He specializes in the area of ion beam modification and analysis of materials along with synthesis and characterization of thin films especially single crystal oxides, ceramics, and minerals. He has published research on structural and chemical properties of surfaces and metal/oxide interfaces, influence of trivalent dopants and nanoscale on ionic transport through electrolyte thin films, ion implantation damage accumulation and thermal recovery in oxides and ceramics, synthesis and characterization of nanomaterials, oxide thin films, hydrogen diffusion in oxides and at metal/oxide interfaces and development of photoelectron holography.
- 12/93-present: Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist/Staff Scientist, EMSL.
- 8/90-12/93: Post-Doctoral Research Associate, University of Hawaii /University of California at Davis and Guest Scientist/Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
- 9/89-8/90: Post-Doctoral Research Associate, University of Florida.
- 6/87-9/89: LASST Fellow, Laboratory for Surface Science and Technology, University of Maine.
- 9/86-5/87: Teaching Assistant, Department of Physics, University of Maine.
- 9/84-9/86: Research Assistant/Associate, Energy Technology, AIT, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 1/83-8/84: Scholarship for Graduate Study, Energy Technology, AIT, Thailand.
- 10/81-12/82: Assistant Lecturer, University of Peradeniya/Eastern University, Sri Lanka.
- PhD, Physics (Solid State-Surface Science), University of Maine, 1989
- MSc, Energy Technology, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand, 1984
- BSc, Physics, (Honors, second class upper division), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 1981
Awards, Honors, & Appointments
- AVS Fellow – 2010
- Fitzner Eberhardt Award – 2010
- PNNL Outstanding Performance Awards - 2007, 2006, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999
- PNNL Chester L Cooper Mentor of the Year Award - 2002
- Laboratory of Surface Science and Technology (LASST) Fellowship - 1987-1989
- CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) Scholarship - 1983-1984
- Upper Division Second Class Degree in Physics - 1981
EMSL Publications >View All EMSL Publications
- Member of the AVS, Science and Technology Society, Electrochemical Society (ECS) and American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Chair, national level Short Course Executive Committee (SCEC) of AVS- 2008
- Lead Organizer – Topical Symposium: In-situ Microscopy and Spectroscopy – AVS, 55th International Symposium, 2008
- Co-Chair, PNWAVS Symposium – 2008
- Topic editor and organizer of ion beam modification of materials (19th and 20th), 2006 and 2008 and co-Chair Symposium – Ion Beam Analysis of Oxide Thin Films (18th), 2004, Conferences on the Application of Accelerators in Research and Industry (CAARI), 2004
- Co-Chair – Surface Analysis ‘04/PNWAVS Symposium/EMSL 2004
- Chair – Pacific Northwest Chapter of AVS (PNWAVS), 2003-2004
- Short Course Coordinator, National AVS, Short Course Executive Committee – 2004-2007
- Co-Editor – Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B 261 – 2007
- Co-Chair – 16th International Conference on Ion Beam Analysis (IBA 2003), 2003
- Guest Editor – Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B 207 (2003)
- Chair, Symposium – Materials Analysis with ion Beams, 17th CAARI, 2002
- Co-Chair, Symposium – Ion Beam Processing of Ceramics and Glasses, 104th American Ceramic Society Meeting, 2002
- Chair, Symposium – Materials Analysis with Ion Beams, 16th CAARI, 2000
- Chair, Local Arrangements Committee, Surface Analysis’98/PNWAVS Symposium, 1998.