Kevin FoxResearch Scientist, WR Wiley Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory, MSC Operations
P.O. Box 999, K8-83Richland, WA 99352
Updated: July 14, 2006
Current Activities and Projects
- Maintained a 64TB tape backup system. Maintenance included detecting and removing bad tapes, watchdogging backups and performing data restores.
- Primary system administration duties and architecture responsibilities for a 56CPU supercomputer (Colony2a). As part of this project I was responsible for designing, developing and delivering a full system software stack and configuration control system.
- Performed system administration on an 82TB file system (NWFS). Duties included rearchitecting and implementing the file access infrastructure to enhance security and performing software updates.
- As part of the DARPA HPC challenge benchmark to develop new performance metrics for the national supercomputer infrastructure, I provided benchmarking and tuning consulting for the benchmark runs on the 11.8TF supercomputer at EMSL (MPP2). At the time of its installation the EMSL supercomputer was the largest Linux supercomputer in the world and the fastest unclassified supercomputer in the united states.
- Designed and implemented a monitoring system for the Tivoli Storage Manager tape backup system. This automated the task of detecting potential and current problems with the system.
- Designed and implemented a security monitoring system to track and analyze syslog data.
- Discovered and eliminated TB's of redundant data on storage archive.
- Participated in code reviews.
- Designed and implemented the Active Storage user space interface library.
- Helped develop the SC2004 store cloud demonstration application.
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science from Idaho State University