Arun Devaraj, Ph.D.Post-Doctoral Fellow, WR Wiley Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory
Updated: March 5, 2012
Current Activities and Projects
• Investigating the interfaces in sputtered nanoscale multilayered metallic thin films before and after ion irradiation by coupling SEM, FIB, TEM, Ion beam analysis and APT to understand the radiation damage mechanisms. Funding agency: DTRA
• Direct coupling of atom probe tomography with high resolution TEM (STEM) for analyzing buried interfaces in metal-dielectric composites (Useful for catalysis, optoelectronic devices). Chemical imaging LDRD project
• Atom probe tomography analysis of second phase precipitates, grain boundaries and interphase interfaces in metals and alloys. (Titanium alloys, Steels, Nickel based alloys, Cu-Nb, Cu-Ag, Cr-Mo alloys thin films)
• Atom probe tomography analysis of well characterized metal-oxide thin film interfaces grown by Molecular beam epitaxy to investigate irradiatiation damage in such systems.
• Heavy Ion beam irradiation and Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry of thin films in Ion Beam Materials Analysis Lab.
• Atom probe capability development for analyzing biological and geological materials
• Atom probe tomography of metals, alloys, oxides and metal-oxide composites
• Phase transformations in metals and alloys
• Irradiation damage of nanoscale interfaces in materials
• Cross correlation of atom probe tomography with dark field TEM and aberration corrected high resolution TEM, STEM.
• Extending atom probe tomography analysis to biological and geological sciences.
• Graduate Research Associate, University of North Texas, 08/2007 – 04/2011
• Engineer QA/QC, Essar Steel Ltd, Surat, India, 06/2005 – 07/2007
• Undergrad student Intern, Electron Microscopy Section, Bhabha Atomic Research Center, 04/2005-05/2005
• PhD, Material Science & Engineering, University of North Texas, May 2011.
• B. Tech, Metallurgical Engineering and Material Science, Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur, India, May 2005.
Awards, Honors, & Appointments
• Outstanding Leadership and Service Award by Department of Material science and engineering, University of North Texas (2011)
• Outstanding International Graduate student award by Robert Toulouse Graduate School, University of North Texas (2010)
• Invited member of Phi Kappa Phi and Alpha Sigma Nu honor societies, UNT (2010)
• Student member of faculty search committees of Department of Material science and engineering, UNT, (2010)
• Elected Graduate Student Representative for the Department of material Science and Engineering, University of North Texas (2008 to 2011)
• Elected President of Materials Advantage Chapter of University of North Texas (2008-2011)
• Highest performance rating of “Benchmark to Employee performance” in the annual employee performance review in Essar Steel Ltd (2006)